Two essential organs in our bodies are the kidneys and bladder. They are part of the urinary and lymphatic systems which along with the liver, eliminate toxins and waste products from the cells of our body.
When considering toxins, it’s important to think about how vulnerable our bodies are to them, both externally and internally. Our bloodstream can be exposed to these negative substances in many ways, in the form of food toxins, pesticides, environmental contamination and stress.
Our kidneys and liver help us filter out these impurities. Similar to the bladder, these essential organs should be protected and kept in good health to avoid infections.
Most common problems of the kidney and bladder
The most common problems include:
- changes in the bladder wall, making it harder for it to hold as much urine as before
- urethra blockage
When a doctor should be consulted
- If there is any pain during urination.
- If there is any sign of urinary tract infection.
- If you have an urge to constantly urinate.
- If you have have a fever, chills, vomiting and severe exhaustion.
How to care for your kidneys and bladder
To keep your kidneys and bladder in good health, it is essential to watch your diet. We also have a few simple guidelines you can follow in order to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Clean bladder and kidneys every three days
Letting our kidneys rest every few days is meant to increase our lifespan, provide good kidney functioning and keep us in general good health. To protect our bladders and kidneys, simply avoid the following every three days:
- sugar sweetened drinks and/or caffeinated drinks
- foods high in protein
All of these can be highly irritating and force our kidneys to work twice as hard
Healthy juices for your kidney and bladder
- Blueberry juice is full of antioxidants that protect the urinary system, fight off infections and prevent bacteria from sticking to the wall of the bladder. It ensures the kidneys and bladders function properly and is best consumed daily for maximum benefits.
- Carrot juice helps to purify the blood and ensures the kidneys work well. Carrot juice is highly tasty and refreshing and should be consumed often.
- Grape juice is full of essential minerals. It helps to eliminate uric acid and regulates cardiac rhythm.
Healthy vegetables for your kidneys and bladder
Eating raw fruits and vegetables is essential for a balanced diet as these foods contain enzymes that are lost when we cook any food. These enzymes are required for the cleansing process in our bodies. It is highly recommended to eat raw fruits and vegetables as often as you can. Here is a list of good raw vegetables that help to care for our kidneys and bladder:
- Asparagus contains diuretic properties that help to eliminate toxins, stimulate urine removal and help the overall functioning of our kidneys.
- Spinach is highly rich in minerals that detoxify and cleanse the kidneys.
- Celery contains minerals and diuretic properties.
- Beetroot helps to detoxify the kidneys.
- White beans is great for the overall functioning of the kidneys.
Good herbs for our kidneys and bladder
- Nettle and dandelion contain diuretic properties, help to clean our kidneys and eliminate uric acid.
- Parsley – whether eaten raw or an an infusion – parsley is great for cleaning the kidneys. You should boil a handful of parsley for 10 minutes in 2 litres of water. Strain the parsley and store in the fridge. Drink it within 5 days and then take a break for a week. This will really help to cleanse the kidneys and eliminate any residual salt.
The health of our kidneys and bladder depends on undertaking a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle. Try to avoid foods high in fat, salt, sugar and drinking too much alcohol. These substances stop our kidneys from filtering and purifying the blood correctly. Drinking too much alcohol and eating large amounts of the wrong types of food can cause kidney stones and heart problems.
Taking care of your health should be high up on everyones list of priorities. Paying attention to your diet is just one way of taking good care of your body. Eating the right types of food, including those mentioned, will help the bladder and kidneys to function properly. Along with including daily exercise and avoiding stress, your body will function far better.