The strongest and brightest colours in fruit can often signify the greatest health benefits. In the case of the wonderful strawberry, this is certainly the case. Although it is best to consume strawberries ‘in season’ (i.e. during the summer months), they are available all year around, thanks to importation and the use of hot houses. They are natural cleansers and provide your body with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants. They make a useful (and delicious) component of a calorie-controlled diet.
The juice of strawberries is packed with minerals and vitamins. If you make strawberry water a part of your diet you can lose weight, detox and get healthy at the same time. Here we tell you more about how you can do that!
Why do you need to detox your body?
“Detoxing’ is not a modern concept. For centuries, civilisations have recognised the need to cleanse the body of accumulated toxins. Our modern lifestyles make it even more important. We are bombarded with free-radicals and toxins every day of our lives, and they may be linked to chronic diseases like diabetes and cancer. They enter our body in fast food, artificial products and pollution. We can do little to control this because pollution is everywhere. However, we can help our bodies get rid of the toxins so that they don’t build up and cause problems.
Not all toxins are artificial – we live in a world with millions of micro-organisms in it and some of them live in and on our bodies. They produce their own toxins which can cause health problems for us – the host. We need to detox every now and again to rid ourselves of these toxins.
So, how do you know if you need a detox? The answer is that your body will tell you! Are you feeling tired and run-down? Is your skin breaking out in spots or developing dry patches? Are you getting headaches and muscle cramps for no reason?
These could all be signs that the toxins are building up in your body. It is time to do something about it!
The benefits of strawberries
- Strawberries have great diuretic, purifying, and antioxidant powers.
- They are rich in vitamins A, C, and E.
- They are rich in iron, vitamin K, and folic acid.
- They are good for your heart.
- Strawberries have anti-inflammatory properties – good for muscular and bone pain.
- Strawberries have soluble fibre – absorbs carbohydrates and keeps sugar levels balanced.
- They are good at fighting constipation.
How to make and drink strawberry water
Drink one glass of strawberry before breakfast every morning for ten days every month in order to cleanse your body. Do this for the first ten days of the month – it will be easier to remember!
The following recipe is simple and this drink can be enjoyed by the whole family. Never add any sweeteners to it as it will ruin the detoxifying properties.
Ingredients for strawberry water
- 5 strawberries (organic if possible)
- Juice from half a lemon (organic if possible)
- 2 mint leaves (organic if possible)
- Wash all of the ingredients well in fresh running water to remove any contamination that may interfere with the detoxifying effect. We recommend putting them in boiling water for a few seconds after you wash them. Make sure the strawberries are fresh so that you can take advantage of their benefits.
- Simply place all the ingredients in a blender: strawberries, lemon juice, and the mint leaves and blend into a homogenous mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a glass of chilled water and stir until it is well mixed.
- If you add a few ice cubes, the drink will be even better and more refreshing.
Who could benefit from a strawberry water detox?
- People with uric acid problems
- People with arthritis and rheumatism
- People with hypertension or cardiovascular problems
- People with anaemia, because it increases your dosage of vitamin C so that you will synthesize iron better
- Diabetics or people with hypoglycemia or altered glucose metabolism
- Children or pregnant women because of its high vitamin content
- Anyone that wants to cleanse their body because they are feeling tired or bloated.