It’s a myth that parasites only exist in foreign countries on different continents! You might have one, right now! Or more than one. In fact, most people have at least some eggs or larvae present in their bodies at all times, and it doesn’t matter if they are clean, hygienic people or not! The only way to prevent this is by doing a parasite cleanse on a regular basis.
Intestinal parasites are organisms that live and feed off your food or your body. They are usually called “worms”: roundworm, pinworm, whipworm, tapeworm, hookworm, etc. They come in all shapes and sizes, and can cause a wide range of symptoms. Some eat your food, others your red blood cells.
So how do they get in? Well, through contaminated food and water, and through touch. Yes, everyone you touch, or anything you touch, might be passing you a nice present.
Particularly watch out for undercooked meat, unwashed fruit and veg, and walking barefoot in foreign lands. If you don’t wash your hands after using the toilet, you may pass those parasites on to your family and anyone else you come into contact with.
Parasites can be found on:
- toilet seats
- sink knobs
- anything else used by people!
How do you know if you have one?
There are 10 signs to look out for when it comes to those wiggly worms:
- Unexplained constipation, diarrhoea, gas, or other IBS-type symptoms.
- Having food poisoning and never really recovering.
- Grind your teeth during the night.
- Achy muscles and/or painful joints.
- Never feeling satisfied or full when you eat.
- Anaemia, feeling weak and tired a lot.
- Skin irritations, like rashes, eczema or rosacea.
- Trouble sleeping.
Eat type of worm has its own set of symptoms, so look them up. However, if you think you might have a parasite, get tested. It’s a quick and simple test you can pretty much get done anywhere, but you will need to provide the surgery with a little stool sample.
Nutrition is key
Nutrition is key when it comes to parasites. Parasites just love bread, pasta and other refined carbs. They can even make you crave those things! The cleaner your diet is, the less likely worms are to stick around!
Nutrient density is the key, as parasites love empty calories that will get them nice and fat. Eat dark green veggies of all kinds, big salads, and nuts and seeds. Eat as many low glycaemic fruits as you can muster: berries are great, as are lemons and grapefruit. Reduce portions of meat, refined carbohydrates and fill up on lean proteins.
Parasites don’t like spices much: ginger, garlic and hot peppers are their worst nightmare. Cooking with these spices has been a traditional way of preventing parasites in warmer climes for centuries. You can also use this age-old trick for yourself!
Calcium montmorillonite clay is a wonderful way to naturally cleanse out parasites of all kinds. The clay gets into the entire body, so it kills all parasites and their eggs, everywhere! It also brings your digestive tract back into balance, absorbs toxins and helps you detox your whole body. It’s non-allergenic, and strengthens the immune system.
Another natural remedy to try is neem. In powder form, it can be taken every day. It’s very bitter and very powerful, so take a tiny amount to begin with. Neem has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It also kills sperm, too, though, so avoid it completely if you’re trying to conceive or you’re pregnant.
The only downside to using natural remedies like this is that when the parasites start to die off, you may experience detox symptoms while your body deals with all their little decomposing bodies.
This can include tiredness and fatigue, weakness, spots, going to the toilet more often, gas and low moods. Just keep an eye out for them, rest when you need to, and go easier on the treatment. Take less until you start to feel better. At least you know that you’re killing those nasties!
All of the recommendations for a healthy bowel are applicable for parasite prevention. Exercise regularly, eat a lot of high fibre foods and drink lots of water. Get yourself a high quality water filter, or buy spring water to avoid ingesting more parasites!