Effective Creams to Remove Dark Spots
Dark spots can appear anywhere on your body for a number of various reasons. They can be caused by our hormones, overexposure to the sun or an allergy. As well as tackling the cause of them, there are some effective home remedies which can help reduce their unsightly appearance. Most of these treatments are 100% natural and will help lighten your dark spots.
As with all preparations for the skin, you should make sure that you are not applying something which will cause an adverse reaction. Do a patch test for each recipe on a small area of your skin and leave it for 24 hours before using it more liberally. Each of the creams below will have varying results depending on your skin type so try out which one works best for you.
Finally, you should exfoliate your skin prior to any treatment as this not removes the dead skin cells but also stimulates the growth of healthy skin. You can do this with a home mixture of oil mixed with either sugar, baking soda or fine salt.
More suitable for very dark spots on pale, oxygenated water has excellent whitening properties. Mix the following ingredients to an oily paste and apply over the spot before you go to sleep. Wash the area well with soap and water when you wake up:
- a few drops of oxygenated water
- a few drops of vegetable glycerin
- 2 tablespoons of powdered milk
- a few drops of lemon juice
Oat and lemon cream
This is an excellent and easy preparation for treating dark spots on the skin. Mix together a tablespoon of fine ground oatmeal, a litre of water and four teaspoons of lemon juice.
Apply the cream for a period of 15 minutes before washing it off with soap and water. You should repeat this treatment once a day for a week before assessing for improvements.
Oats provide the skin with essential nourishment and the lemon is both cleansing and purifying.
Aromatic orange cream
This is a wonderful smelling preparation which takes a few days to prepare but is well worth the effort. Taking the peels of 2-3 oranges and allow to dry in the sun (a windowsill is fine). Once dry, crush the peels until you have a fine powder and mix 2 tablespoons with one tablespoon of milk and a couple of drops of vegetable glycerin.
This cream will not only lighten the appearance of dark spots but also moisturise the skin. Apply the cream and allow it to dry completely before rinsing off with warm water.
Honey and turmeric cream
An ideal preparation if you have delicate skin or suffer from eczema, this treatment can also help reduce swelling and inflammation. The honey is anti-bacterial and the turmeric is a good source of antioxidants. When combined, these two ingredients are an excellent way to treat both light and dark spots.
Refreshing and antioxidant lotion
This treatment is a light remedy and is good for those people who have greasy skin. As the lotion is very light and can be sprayed onto the skin, it is especially refreshing if the weather is hot.
Spray the lotion on every morning. Note: you don’t need to rinse with water as the preparation will help tone your skin.
Some final tips
All of the above use natural ingredients that have a good effect on reducing the appearance of dark spots on your skin but they also have some additional benefits too. You could try mixing up your own recipe adding some of the following for their healthy skin properties:
- Lemon – this fruit is great for cleansing and disinfecting your skin but it can be a little harsh. If your skin is delicate, mix it with a little glycerin before you apply.
- Aloe vera – This plant will hydrate greasy skin but also speed up the healing process of acne marks and other scratches. You can but it in gel form from most health shops or pharmacies or extract it directly from the plant
- Rosehip seed oil – An excellent oil to use for very dry skin, this extract has anti-ageing properties and aids the healing process.
- Vitamin E– Used in cosmetic products, this vitamin boosts the skins natural health leaving a radiant glow. It acts as a great cleanser and can reduce the appearance of spots and marks.
- Essential geranium oil – A regenerative extract, this oil is great at reducing dark spots.