If you want to achieve beautiful nails but do not have the time or money for a professional manicure, our top tips will help you. You can care for your nails at home and achieve great results. Most experts suggest caring for your nails on a daily basis to avoid nail damage, discolouration or breaking.
How to improve the condition of your nails
Whether you decide to paint your nails with a french manicure or one single block colour, your nails should be kept in good health. The best way to care for your nails is by:
- Moisturising after washing your hands. This will help to hydrate your nails and make them stronger.
- Filing your nails. Use a file and file your nails down in the same direction. This will prevent them chipping or breaking.
- Prepare your nails. Make sure you use a base coat before applying any nail polish. This will help to keep your nails moisturised and prevent discolouration. Nail polish can stain the nail, so using a base coat will keep your nails healthy. You will be able to find base coats formulated with calcium and vitamins at your local chemist. These added benefits will help to keep your nails strong and smooth.
- Take care with your cuticles. Do not cut or remove your cuticles as this could cause infection. Instead use an oil and gently push them back with a manicure stick.
- Pay attention to your nails. Take care of them in cold weather by wearing gloves and applying hand cream regularly. Massage in oil in the evening to hydrate your nails and keep them healthy.
Tips for beautiful nails
- Dry your hands well after washing to prevent your nails from becoming soft.
- File your nails once a week to prevent breaking.
- Cuticles help to protect your nails, so avoid cutting them.
- Use a hand cream twice a day to keep your hands and nails looking healthy and beautiful.
- Rub white vinegar over your nails if they look yellow due to nail polish or smoking.
- Try not to use too much nail polish remover as those formulated with acetone can damage the nails if used excessively.
- If you struggle to take care of long beautiful nails or they break easily then keep them short.
- Protect your nails by wearing gloves to complete household chores.
- Consume vitamin A to keep your nails healthy.
- Avoid biting your nails. Chew gum or candy if you tend to bite your nails a lot.
- A good home remedy is to use garlic clove juice in your nail polish to make your nails harder. You could also try using a blend of lemon juice, blended garlic clove and 5 drops of white iodine. Add this mixture to a clear nail polish and apply to your nails to make them healthy.
- Place your nails in a bowl of cold water after painting them to speed up the drying time.
Photos courtesy of Lisa Bently, Courtney Rhodes, Fing’rs, Stefany, Emily Gould, Vladimir Morozov.