Anyone can get kidney stones – just when you least expect them! It is a very bothersome and painful condition. Here you can learn about the natural home remedies that people have used to dissolve kidney stones. Try them yourself!
Some facts about kidney stones
Kidney stones (nephrolithiasis) are stone-like lumps that can develop in one or both of the kidneys. The pain that they cause, renal colic, can be severe.
Very small kidney stones are unlikely to cause many symptoms. They often go undetected and pass out painlessly when you pass water (urinate).
You get the unpleasant symptoms when a kidney stone:
- gets stuck in your kidney
- starts to travel down the ureter (the tube that attaches each kidney to the bladder) – the ureter is narrow, and the kidney stone causes pain as it tries to pass through
- causes an infection.
People who have kidney stones describe the following symptoms:
- Persistent pain in the lower back, radiating to the groin. Men may have pain in the testicles and scrotum
- Intense episodes of pain in the back or side of the abdomen, which may last for minutes or hours
- A feeling of restlessness
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Needing to urinate more often than normal
- Pain when passing water
- Passing blood in the urine
In order to prevent kidney stones from occurring, it’s preferable to avoid eating too much chocolate, coffee, soda, beetroots, nuts, spinach, strawberries, tea, or bran, because these foods contain an element that can cause kidney stones to form. Additionally, it is best to avoid excess protein, sodium, and sugar.
Diuretic herbs for kidney stones
Herbs can be ingested by making them into a tea or an infusion. For centuries, the following herbs have been used for kidney stones and urinary tract problems:
- Parsley: allows the body to rid itself of the minerals that are causing pain. Parsley is one of the best diuretics that exists. You can make an infusion by putting a teaspoon of dry parsley in a glass of boiling water. This can be taken several times in one day when the pain is bad.
- Nettle. This common hedgerow plant increases the output of urine and helps prevent the formation of stones. It also helps expel the smaller stones.
- Dandelion. This is known as a weed but it is excellent for stimulating the production of urine and is very good to help you avoid fluid retention. Additionally, dandelion helps cleanse the bloodstream. To get the best effect, drink three glasses a day of an infusion made with dry dandelion leaves.
Verbena: Make an infusion by adding a teaspoon of dry verbena to a glass of hot water and leaving it to steep for about 10 minutes. Sweeten with honey and drink three times a day.
Natural remedies for kidney stones
Many people have found these home treatments very efficient and they are also very easy to prepare because they are made with ingredients that most people have in their kitchen cupboards.
- A glass of fresh-squeezed lemon juice mixed with an egg. Drink this as soon as the symptoms appear – preferably on an empty stomach.
- Infusion made with avocado leaves and a large amount of fresh-squeezed apple juice – drink once a day.
- Fucus – you can put it in food or take it in pills.
- Mix a half litre of hot milk with the same amount of red wine. Add a handful of chamomile flowers and heat gently until they have dissolved. Drink a cup as soon as the pain starts.
- Boil fresh ginger in a litre of water for about ten minutes. Soak a clean cloth in the liquid and apply it to the area where the pain is at its worse. This is usually the lower back.
- Cut three radishes into strips and put them in a glass of water. Then add a spoonful of sugar. Leave this to steep for 12 hours and then strain. Take two spoonfuls of the mixture on an empty stomach.
- Boil a handful of watermelon seeds in water for around 5 minutes. Let the liquid cool and drink a cup every day in order to naturally dissolve kidney stones.