Smoothies can replace meals and help you lose weight and become healthier. They have so many benefits, it’s almost impossible to fit them all into one article. They’re great for the whole family, and there are so many options that there is no way you won’t find one you just absolutely love.
Benefits of smoothies
- They allow you to get all the fruit and vegetables your body needs in just a few litres of liquid. Oh yes, smoothies are packed full of goodness and they hide greens and funny-tasting vegetables from people that don’t really like them.
- They’re super-fast to make. The most complicated of smoothies cannot take more than 20 minutes to make. That’s better than most meals, and you can take them with you if you’re really pushed for time in the morning, at noon or at night.
- You can give them to old people, young people and small children. Getting small children, and even adults, to eat things that are healthy for them can be so difficult at times, but smoothies are popular with most people.
- They’re filling and nourishing, so they’re great if you want to lose weight. Watch the pounds dropping off as you slurp and guzzle these delicious treats.
- Your body will love you! Since smoothies are already “chewed” to perfection by the blender, it takes a lot less energy for your body to process it. That means you get more energy to do the things you love.
- They’re tasty, and you can create a perfect smoothie that you love and just can’t get enough of. There are umpteen combinations, so get inspired and seek out some amazing recipes. They are all over the internet.
- It’s a no-fuss way of detoxing your body without even trying. Smoothies are packed full of vitamins and minerals, so add in a little spinach, kale, dandelion leaves or other herbs, and feel your body becoming healthier.
- You’ll build muscle. The protein content of specific smoothies can be difficult to believe, and since they’re easy to digest, more is absorbed to build muscle.
What ingredients to add
For a high-protein smoothie, add:
- low-fat plain yogurt, or plant-based yogurt or milk
- low fat kefir made from milk or coconut
- nuts and/or nut butters
- soy milk
- high-protein almond milk
- maca, spirulina and/or chorella
- activated rice-protein or other healthy protein supplement
The best fruits for smoothies include:
- berries of all kinds
The fruit is best used fresh, but frozen is the next best thing. Dried fruit can also work in small quantities or for special smoothies. Avoid tinned fruit and any processed, sweetened and other types of fruit.
The best vegetables for smoothies are:
- and any other vegetables you like.
Other things you might add for flavour and extra nutrition could include:
- flaxseed (linseed)
- chia seed
- spices like cinnamon and ginger
- vanilla grains or high-quality extracts
- coconut water
- cacao or cocoa powder
Things that should go into any smoothies:
- Sweetened fruit juices or from concentrate juices
- full-fat dairy products, unless you are doing a paleo type diet
- sweetened yoghurt
- whipped or any other type of cream
- ice cream of any kind
- chocolate syrup or sauce
- tinned fruit in syrup
- any other processed products from a packet.
Meal-replacement smoothie examples
A delicious green smoothie
- 2 cupfuls of berries
- 1 or 2 bananas
- 2 cupfuls of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1/4 cupful of oats
- 2 cupfuls of kale
- 5 ice cubes
To make the smoothie, just blend the kale and almond milk together, then add everything else, and blend until all the little chunks have disappeared.
- 3 cupfuls of raspberries or strawberries, or a mixture
- 1 and a half cupfuls of mango
- 1 and a half teaspoons of rose water
- 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar, or stevia to taste
- 1 or two cupfuls of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed.
How to drink a smoothie?
The best way to drink a smoothie is to chew it! Eating involves saliva, and that’s the best way your body begins the digestion process. Swill the smoothie around your mouth before swallowing, and chew it. This is also the best way to enjoy the taste of your smoothie to the max!