Cinnamon and maple syrup are two common foods that boast a number of nutritional properties. Even better: you get health benefits with delicious flavours! When you combine them, you will double these attributes, so you’ll want to eat them together every day.
Just what kind of magic can this elixir do? Well, it’s a useful combination if you’re trying to lose weight, stimulate your immune system, improve digestion, look after your joints, reduce stress or insomnia and increase libido.
A bevy of benefits
When cinnamon and maple syrup mingle, they give you the following health benefits (when consumed daily):
- Weight loss: by activating your metabolism and reducing your sugar cravings. Cinnamon can regulate glucose levels in the blood, so can be helpful in eliminating excess liquids and fats in your body as well. Add to hot water and drink between meals.
- Increased immunity: its high calorie content means that cinnamon and maple function as a natural antibiotic. The energy that results from this combination helps shrug off coldness in your body, thereby helping to prevent diseases caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Relief from throat infections: antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties act as a natural treatment for pharyngitis, tonsillitis, aphonia and dysphonia. Add a tablespoon to warm water. Sip, then gargle it.
- Improved joint health: those calories and antioxidants once again come to the rescue in treating diseases such as arthrosis, osteoarthritis and other similar conditions.
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease: it does this by strengthening your heart, regulating its rhythm, improving overall circulation and reducing cholesterol.
- Increased libido: Oh là là! Cinnamon is renowned for its aphrodisiacal effects in both women and men. Take a tablespoon in the morning and another one before bed.
- Reduced acidity and improved digestion: for these indications, put a tablespoon of the mixture in a cup of warm water and drink just before you eat your lunch. If that’s not convenient, you can take it after drinking a cup of tea.
- Increased energy and decreased stress: the calorie content and toning properties in this combo help to revitalise your body. All you have to do is take a tablespoon a day, preferably on an empty stomach.
- Rejuvenated body: internally and externally, this potent duo’s antioxidant properties work wonders. It helps to reduce tissue damage caused by the natural ageing process and this means that it is a good beauty remedy. It can also help to prevent chronic diseases.
- Vanquished insomnia: add a tablespoon to a glass of hot water and drink it before settling in for the night.
What do you need?
It’s simple, really. You just need cinnamon and maple syrup. Ideally, you’ll want to choose high quality, organic versions.
This will guarantee that it is pure, contains no chemical additives and has been processed naturally. The maple syrup should also be Grade B, as that is higher in minerals than Grade A.
Don’t forget that your cinnamon should also be organic. A good test of its quality is its aroma.
Fold the cinnamon into the maple syrup until its consistency is thick and substantial. Once the right viscosity is achieved, put the mixture into an airtight glass container. It’s not necessary to refrigerate it if you can keep it in a cool, dark place. Your preparation will stay fresh for a long time without any additives thanks to the naturally preservative properties of cinnamon and maple syrup.
When and how to take it
Make this preparation a part of your daily routine. Adults should take a tablespoon as a standard dosage. For small children, reduce the dose to a teaspoon each day.
If desired, you can mix it with a bit of hot water and enjoy it as a flavoured infusion. It’s equally good – and extremely refreshing – as a cold drink. Either way, it’s a reviving and healthy beverage. Other options? Put a spoonful of your maple and cinnamon elixir into a glass of juice or a cup of yoghurt. It’s especially delicious with coconut yoghurt.
As always, we advise that you always consult your GP or holistic practitioner before introducing any kind of treatment, as even natural products can have contraindications with prescribed medications. Be aware, too, that excessive consumption can cause unwanted side effects.
Images courtesy of HealthHomeHappy.com, alsjhc, ion-bogdan dumitrescu and sweetbeetandgreenbean