Trim Your Waist With These 14 Exercises
It’s a simple equation: eat junk and your body shows the world by way of a spare tyre. Not quite. To trim your waist, combine good nutrition with exercise. Whilst it’s certainly true that those pesky muffin tops can result from ill-advised food choices (too many sweets, too much alcohol, too frequent takeaways), your activity levels also play a huge role in excess belly rolls. Doing the right exercises will help you along the road to fitness. It’s in this spirit that we give you the 14 most effective exercises to trim your waist.
14 exercises that trim your waist
We’re veering into maternal mode here, but we must reiterate the importance of hydration (with water) and healthy eating. Fruits and vegetables should feature regularly on your menu rather than being an afterthought. Having hammered this home, there’s also no denying that exercise is essential for your physical and mental health. Now, let’s get to it. Here are the exercises that we promised you. They’ll trim your waist in just a few weeks. Do a daily circuit of 7 exercises. You can pick and mix – but be sure that warm up before starting. You don’t want any injuries, do you? Be consistent. Sticking to a regular exercise schedule will work wonders. Oh, and…always wear comfortable shoes!
Exercise 1: Abdominal twists
- Stand up with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands on your hips. Twist your upper body to the left and then to the right. Keep your back straight. Repeat 30 times.
- Next, lift your arms chest level with your fists loosely closed. You don’t want them too clenched. Now, do slightly stronger twists for 30 repetitions.
- Finally, in the same position as you were last, do 30 twists by stretching to alternates sides.
Exercise 2: Side twists
- Stand up and place your legs shoulder width apart with your hands on your neck. Twist laterally from one side to another. Repeat 30 times.
- Now, in the same position, stretch your arms above your shoulders with crossed arms. Let them fall to the side while trying to touch the ground. Come back to your first position and do the same movement on the other side. Do 30 repetitions.
Exercise 3: Use an exercise bar
- For this exercise, you’ll need a medium sized bar. You can buy them online.
- Put the bar behind your shoulders whilst you hold it at the ends.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart and do strong twists with a straight back.
- Repeat 50 times
Exercise 4: Side twists with exercise bar
- With your feet shoulder width apart, hold the bar horizontally above your head.
- Twist from side to side whilst holding the bar.
- Do 50 repetitions.
Exercise 5: The bends
- Stand up and place your feet shoulder width apart with your hands on your neck. Bend your body forward whilst trying to touch your toes. Return to the first position. Repeat 15 times.
- Don’t worry too much if you can’t do this perfectly at first. Your flexibility will improve over time.
Exercise 6: Belly bends
- Follow the instructions for the previous exercise, but place your legs wider this time. Bend forward to try to touch one ankle and then the other. Do 15 repetitions on each side.
Exercise 7: Bent leg twists
- Sit down and bend your legs whilst keeping your back straight. Now, keeping your arms at chest height, twist. Repeat 50 times. You’ll feel this one – but you’ll also get amazing results for your abdomen.
Exercise 8: Crossed leg twists
- For this exercise to be effective, pay attention to the position of your legs. Sit with your legs crossed and put your arms at chest height. Execute 50 twists whilst keeping your back straight and your eyes focussed ahead.
Exercise 9: Lie down and work that waist
- Lie on one side, your legs slightly bent.
- Keep your hands on your neck, but take care to avoid pulling on it. Lift your abdomen off the floor sideways. Do this 15 times
- Next, do the same exercise but lift your bent legs laterally. Do 15 repetitions.
- Finally, lift your abdomen laterally and keep both legs extended. Repeat 15 times.
- Change sides and repeat.
Exercise 10: Lie down and use your legs
- Lie on one side and extend your legs. Use your supporting arm to steady yourself and put your free hand on your neck. Lift your abdomen laterally whilst lifting your leg 15 times.
- Repeat, but bend your leg laterally this time and lift it up. Try to touch your knee. Do 15 repetitions.
- Change sides and repeat.
Exercise 11: Tag team the tummy and sides
- Lie down on your side, bending your legs slightly. Twist your abdomen until your back is on the ground.
- Place your hands on your neck. Lift your abdomen 15 times. You’ll work the abdominal and neck muscles with this movement.
- Now, repeat on the other side.
Exercise 12: Move those legs
- Lie down, facing upward. With your hands along the sides of your body, slightly bend your legs. Now, twist your legs from one side to the other whilst keeping them together – but without touching the ground. Do 15 repetitions. Rest for 5 seconds do one more set.
Exercise 13: Another leggy combo
- Lie on your back, your hands on your neck and your legs extended. Bend your legs and lift your abdomen whilst you try to your left and then your right. Alternate. Do this 15 times. Rest for 5 seconds and repeat.
Exercise 14: Do the worm
- With your legs extended, lie on your stomach and put both hands on your neck to support it.
- Lift your abdomen whilst keeping your chest off the ground, then return to the first position. The higher you can lift yourself, the more fat you’ll burn. Repeat 15 times. Rest. Repeat.
Stop those spare tyres in their tracks!
You’ll thank us (we hope!) when you’ve got these routines committed to memory. You’re sure to reap the rewards of your dedication and hard work. To finish, we’ll leave you with some preventative measures – tips that will help you keep your waist nice and trim: