You’ll be surprised how great a detox can make you feel. As your body eliminates all those toxins, it starts to improve organ functions and prevents ageing and chronic illnesses. Before you know it – you look and feel great! Why not start your own one week detox today? We’ll tell you how.
Here, we will explain how to perform a simple and natural cleansing week. Our simple methods use the natural properties of fruits and vegetables – used as juices and soups. In just 7 days, you will be completely detoxed!
Your cleansing cure
This is a blood cleansing tonic. It is important to be flexible with the ingredients and use fruits and vegetables that are in season. If you detox in the winter, it is best to choose soups that will warm you up. In the summer, you will prefer refreshing fruit juices. Both are equally suitable and will cleanse and add minerals to the body. There is no harm in combining both!
In an ideal world, you would prepare the juices yourself with a blender but don’t worry if you don’t have one. Just choose organic, natural juices – you can find them in health food stores and some supermarkets. Do not choose any juices that have sugars or other artificial additives – these will interfere with the detox.
Are you in cleansing crisis?
When your body is saturated with toxins by your poor diet and bad habits, you need to start a cleanse to eliminate toxins. Initially, the body can react with headaches, mucus discharge or even diarrhea. This is both common and a sign that the body is functioning correctly and the detox is going well. However, if you have a long-term health condition or chronic illness it is very important to consult your doctor before starting a detox. Never stop your regular medication as part of a detox.
Day 1 and Day 7
Most of us adopt a diet that is worlds apart from a detox diet so, to ease you in and out of detox, Day 1 and Day 7 should be ‘adaption days’. This will help avoid a major cleansing crisis and minimize the above symptoms. On Day 1 and Day 7, simply eat healthy and avoid red meat, fried foods, sugar and bread, pastries, crackers, and similar products. Replace them with salads and dried fruit. You can eat soups, stews, or vegetable broth made with easily digestible vegetables such as peas or lentils. Consume plenty of apples, pears, pineapple, papaya or avocado and whole grain rice or millet.
A blood tonic – Day 2-5
During Days 2-5 you should adopt a strict cleansing diet which includes lots of juices and soups. Here is a suggested meal plan:
- Before breakfast: drink two glasses of warm water with the juice from half a lemon and one tablespoon of linseed added to it.
- Breakfast: eat one apple, pear, carrot, pineapple, or ginger juice with three dates.
- Lunch: eat a portion of cabbage, beet, apple and carrot juice with cooked whole grain rice and kombu seaweed.
- Snack: eat a portion of cabbage, beet, apple and carrot juice. Also you can have one roasted apple with cinnamon and a handful of dried fruit.
- Dinner: eat a portion of cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, leek, pumpkin, and artichoke soup. You can add organic seaweed if you wish and a bit of sea sat, cayenne pepper and one tablespoon of linseed. Eat a hard boiled egg or lentils with this soup.
You can swap any of the above fruit or vegetables with your seasonal favorites.
- Detoxing does not mean having to feel hungry all the time. Feeling hungry is counter-productive. It makes you more likely to give in and binge on unhealthy food. Stop hunger pangs by eating bigger portions where necessary.
- Drink throughout the day – cleansing infusions are best. You can try dandelion, cardamom or horsetail, sweetened with a bit of honey, cane sugar or stevia.
- A good detox requires bowel movements! If this is not happening naturally you can help things along with a warm water enema.
- Relax when you detox. Avoid heavy effort and physical exercise. Keep stress to a minimum. Schedule your detox for a peaceful week and take time to stretch, breathe and go for gentle walks.