3 Natural Exfoliants for Radiant Skin
Your skin is exposed to continuous battering by the elements – and it shows if you neglect it. Choose natural exfoliants to keep skin at its most radiant. Combine good treatment with a healthy lifestyle, and you can win the battle against time and environmental pollution. Show your skin some tenderness and it will reward you.
Whatever your age, it’s never too late to cultivate good skincare habits. It’s not just about vanity, either. Proper care of your skin is a matter of hygiene, too. Dirt and bacteria easily spread. Thankfully, a simple routine is all you need. A few steps every day will give you healthier facial skin that is smooth and glowing with vitality – and you can achieve this at home with common ingredients. We’ll show you how!
Top tips for radiant skin
- Shield it from the sun. It bears repeating: protect yourself from the sun’s ultraviolet rays – even if its not out in full force. SPF 30 is the recommended level and should suit most people. If you’re highly susceptible to burning, you might want a protection factor as high as 50.
- Keep your diet balanced. So much of your overall health is dependent upon the food that you eat. What you put into your body is reflected by your skin. Junk in, junk out. Just imagine how fresh you’ll look when your daily menus are loaded with fruits, vegetables and other foods that are dense with vitamins and minerals. Treat your skin to life-giving nutrients that will boost your cells’ abilities to regenerate themselves.
- Sleep well. The importance of being well rested is impossible to overstate. A good slumber is essential because it’s when cell activation is at its peak – up to three times more so than during the day! In other words, whilst you snooze, your cells are busy repairing and replicating themselves. Give them enough time to get on with it.
- Get a cleansing routine in order. Your skin is so vulnerable to contaminants and environmental elements. Wind, sun, rain, dust and dry weather can all affect the skin in different ways. Your pores may become congested and wrinkles may form. Keep the fabric clear of impurities and you’ll stay one step ahead of the enemies. Gently cleansing twice a day is optimal. If you can’t commit to that, you really must make sure to remove the grime of the day before you go to bed at night. It will encourage the formation of new cells and healthy skin.
- Good hydrations. Getting enough moisture is important for all sorts of reasons, but it’s absolutely vital for your skin’s appearance. You don’t need anything too fancy, either – in spite of what the adverts might lead you to believe. Spend money on luxury beauty products if that’s what you choose to do…but you don’t have to. Coconut oil, for instance, is excellent for topping up your skin’s moisture mantle. You can also make your own masks and lotions with wholesome, natural ingredients.
- Cultivate healthy habits. A regular exercise routine will stimulate your body and activate your cells. Avoid smoking, taking drugs or drinking too much alcohol – all of which will do damage to your beautiful face. When the party’s over, your skin pays the price. It can become irritated, parched and worn.
- Look for natural exfoliants. There are a number of schools of thought when it comes to cleansing and exfoliating your skin. None of them, however, need be overly complicated. A simple peel complements cell rejuvenation and sloughs off dead skin, allowing it to breathe. Proper moisturising will revitalise the skin and improve its tone and texture. Exfoliants are everywhere on the high street, but you need to know which will work best for your skin. Remember, too, that a large outlay of cash is completely unnecessary. There’s an array of natural, homemade alternatives. Let’s have a look at a few.
Natural exfoliants for vibrantly healthy skin
Sugar and banana beauty
Oily skin? This is perfect for you. You’ll get all the moisture without extra oil.
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar.
- A bowl
Here’s what to do:
Blend the banana and sugar in the bowl until you have a paste that is easy to manage. Apply it to your face and body when you’re showering. If you want to focus primarily on your facial skin, you may want to omit or reduce the sugar.
Sugar and olive oil, of course
The rich oil in this exfoliant makes it a great choice for dry and sensitive skin.
- 4 tablespoons coarse brown sugar (demerara is perfect)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 20 drops of essential oil (geranium and palmarosa are good choices)
Here’s what to do:
Place all ingredients in a glass bowl and mix them until well incorporated. Apply in gentle, circular motions and massage for a few minutes. Remove with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
Go nuts with brown sugar and coconut
Ideal for dry and dull skin, this exfoliant brings radiance and promotes cellular vitality.
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
Here’s what to do:
Put all of the ingredients into a glass or ceramic dish. Combine until you have a manageable texture, then apply to the skin. Using circular motions, gently massage into the skin for a few moments. Once done, remove any remaining treatment with some warm water. Pat the skin dry with a clean towel. You can keep this exfoliator in a jar and store it at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Once you’ve found the recipe that works for you, make it a weekly habit and you’ll be dazzled by the results.