How to Lighten Your Underarms
Discolouration under the underarms is usually not a sign of any particular medical condition. In most cases, dark underarms are merely a source for frustration and can be caused by a number of factors. Shaving, the build-up of dead skin cells and hyperpigmentation can all lead to the discolouration of your underarms. Luckily, if you are one of those people that are constantly struggling with dark underarms, there are a number of natural remedies that can help.
Lemon has natural bleaching properties that can be used as a lightening agent for your underarm skin. Lemon contains antibacterial and anti-septic properties that help naturally clean and lighten skin. Along with lightening your underarm skin tone, lemon also has prominent acidic properties, which help to banish dead skin cells, which is also a major culprit leading to darkness under the arms. If you are interested in using lemon as a natural way to lighten your underarms start in your kitchen. Here’s how:
- Take a warm or hot shower and wash off excess deodorant or moisturizer from the day.
- Mix a pinch or two of lemon with olive oil and apply to clean and dry armpit. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- Repeat if necessary two to three times a week until ideal colour has been achieved.
Cucumbers also contain lightening properties that can be applied to the underarms daily. Cucumber also contains properties that help to calm and moisturise the skin. If you want, you can combine cucumbers to the lemon treatment above for ideal results. Here is how:
- Follow the above treatment with lemon.
- Cut cucumbers into slices, (you only need a few) and massage directly into your underarms for a few minutes.
- Repeat treatment two to three times a week.
Who would think to put potatoes under their armpits instead of in their mouths? If you are suffering from dark coloured underarms, than potatoes may be your saving grace. That´s because potatoes contain a mild acidity that helps lighten and bleach the skin. If you are looking to bleach your armpits naturally using potatoes, grab a potato and start here:
- Slice on small potato into halves.
- Apply one half of potato directly to your underarm and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Repeat with other half of potato.
- Wash with cold water.
- Repeat daily if needed.
Coconut oil is a powerful natural product that can be used to fight dark underarms. Coconut oil contains vitamin E, which helps neutralise and lighten the skin under the arms. Coconut can also be used as a natural and effective deodorant. Here’s how:
- Wash hands and use fingers to apply a dab of coconut oil directly to underarms.
- Massage in circles for 10 to 15 minutes and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
- Repeat two to three times daily for optimal results.
One of the top causes of dark underarms is the build-up of dead skin cells. When dead skin cells start to accumulate under your arms a dark hue appears. This can easily be resolved by daily exfoliation using a natural cleanser. Honey is an excellent natural exfoliate because it contains antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal benefits. It is also loaded with antioxidant properties which can help regenerate skin cell damage as well as reduce inflammation. To use honey as a natural exfoliant, choose a natural honey source and apply daily to your underarms. Here’s how:
- Purchase a naturally sourced organic jar of honey form your local organic market.
- Choose a honey that contains granules, (appropriate for scrubbing).
- Apply honey directly to underarms, massaging in a circular motion.
- Wash away excess honey residue with cold water.
- Repeat two to three times a week.
Baking soda is another powerful exfoliant agent that can be used to help eliminate dead-skin build up under the arms. Baking soda also contains properties that help unclog pores. Using baking soda as an exfoliant, is cheap and efficient. Here is how:
- Mix baking soda with water until you reach a thick paste-like consistency.
- Apply scrub directly to armpits and massage in circles.
- Wash off with cold water and pat with dry wash cloth.
- Repeat daily.